Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Pure Pumpkin Pleasure

I have found out this year that I love pumpkins. I like to buy the little pie ones and go crazy making everything pumpkin I can think of. This year, I think I've made half a dozen pumpkin pies (one of them raw), several soups, some pumpkin curry, and lots of delicious, roasted seeds.

There is something very satisfying about the whole process. I think the fact that I can do so many things with one simple item of food makes me very enthusiastic about working with them. When I go to buy pie pumpkins in their extremely short season, I try to pick out ones that I think have the most seeds in them. I'm not exactly sure how I figure this out, and I don't quite have it down yet. I think pumpkins with more seeds might be a bit heavier with less of a hollow sound to them? I don't know, really.

After chopping them in half, and scooping out the seeds, they go into the oven at 450 for about 45 minutes. Unless, of course, I'm making a raw dish, and then I just chop the pumpkin into small pieces and puree it.

While the pumpkin is baking, it begins to emit a sweet, earthy aroma into the kitchen. I think the smell of baked pumpkin is enough to lighten anyone's spirits. When I pull it out of the oven, all that yummy goodness that I have been breathing in is magnified. The color is even amazing.



Here is a picture of the latest pie I made for Joe. I think I made five or six before this.



He never seems to grow tired of them, and I can't say that I blame him. I usually have a tiny sliver of a taste of the pie and its fantastic. I use only the freshest, most natural ingredients I can find and with fresh whipped cream, its enough to send anyone head over heels.