Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Snowboarding VS Skiing - An Observation

Yesterday I had my very first day snowboarding. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be. We only spent a total of maybe two hours at the most going down the bunny hill. The most difficult part was trying to stand up, and it got to be a bit frustrating at times. I would fall down, then try to get up, but I couldn't! It would take a few tries, then finally I would get up, wobble around on my board and then start the whole process again!

Eventually, I was able to board for a short distance without falling. Unfortunately the last spill I took went straight to my knees! I have a couple of lovely purple circles now, and they hurt like hell! In fact, my whole body is sore. It must be from the continuous falling and attempting to stand up, or it could just be the standard soreness from learning a new sport.

Today, Joe and I decided to smooth out some of the stiffness with a bit of skiing. I have to say right off that falling down in skis is a lot easier on your body than falling down on a snowboard! I've fallen down plenty on skis, and I've never thought I would need to wear a helmet or kneepads in the future as a result.

Overall, I don't know if I'll like one over the other. It's still too early to decide on that. I think I will really enjoy snowboarding. By the end of the day yesterday, I was feeling a bit more confident. I suppose the only way to find out which I like better is to keep on doing both activities and have fun doing it!