Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Day 4

Tuesday 8/26/08
Polebridge - Red Meadow Lake

Time Traveled: 3.5 hrs
Distance: 18 miles

Food Eaten: Coffee w/honey, huckleberry cinnamon roll, pastry w/guacamole and mozzarella, dates, macadamias, pistachios, brown rice, refried beans

"The Mountain Made Me Cry"

Today started out easy enough, as the road was a bit better than the road to Polebridge. We soon found ourselves in drizzling rain and we pulled on our rain gear for the first time on the trip.





The temperature was a lot colder than yesterday and it continued to drop as we gained elevation. On and on we climbed, the grade not very steep but very long and continuous. I started to get a pain in my knee and the whole outside of my right leg, not to mention my sore behind.





At around 16 miles, pain and exhaustion took their toll and I began to sob uncontrollably with each pedal stroke. I even got off my bike a few times and pushed, crying in my defeat. This vast, wild and terribly beautiful land was breaking me down. She was in charge now and she took me for all I had.





I gained enough composure to pedal a few miles further when I finally crested and saw the magnificent splendor of Red Meadow Lake. Tears flowed again, but this time it was not from the pain.