Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Day 6

Thursday 8/28/08
Whitefish

Time Traveled: 1.5 hrs
Distance: 12 miles

Food Eaten: 2 eggs, wheat toast w/butter, red potatoes, coffee w/honey, 2 apples, 2 bananas, 1 1/2 oranges, 1 pluot, 1 peach, beer, brown rice, veggie chili

Today was spent mostly running errands: laundry, food shopping, a trip to the bike store for leg warmers and booty covers for me, more stuff sacks at the outdoor store, etc.

When we finally made it to the campground, we decided that a 6 pack of Moose Drool would be nice. I stocked up on fruit to make up for my pizza sins from the previous night. Our campsite was a shared hike/bike area and our neighbors never showed up that night. Much perplexity took place. Our quest for privacy and space got us into a stern talking-to by the camp host. It seems we were not camping in the designated share space. She'll let us go this time. Naughty, naughty Joe and Heather!





A long phone call was made to my mother. We had sent off Joe's camera to her today, and she will send us the video camera and Joe's booties for us to pick up in a few days at Seeley Lake.



It was at this campground next to Whitefish Lake, where we were finally able to build our first campfire of the trip. I took out my guitar and stood next to the fire. After about an hour of picking and strumming, I started to sing along with my fingers. Joe asked me about my lyrics and I explained more to him of my words. He expressed his love to me sweetly and my heart skipped a beat.



Our campground was right next to train tracks and they ran all night through, blowing their horns, seemingly the moment the were in line with our tent. Our ear plugs were utilized and I fell asleep dreaming of huckleberry pie.